Wednesday 2 July 2008

Hello

Hi,

Thanks very much for dropping by and giving this a quick look, this'll basically be me just rambling on about the things that are currently interesting me. I'll apologise in advance for my poor taste that'll crop up on a regular basis, I've still got the mindset of a 15 year old so approach with caution.

Batman RIP

So I guess I'll start off with the last big run of comics I've read. It's been just over a year since I've read Grant Morrisons run on Batman so I picked up from 663 (I think, the prose issue about the Joker basically) onwards. Normally I find Grant Morrison to be hard work, there are too many ideas being thrown at the wall and I lose track relatively quickly, that probably says more about me as a reader than it does him a writer, the less said about my attempts to read The Filth the better.
Anyway I've enjoyed his run on Batman a lot more than I thought I would, whether it's because I've read a years worth of floppies in a couple of days or he's writing down to me I've had fun seeing him take some of the older cheesy stories and use them in current continuity. Although there are big honking signposts like calling a character Jezebelle that could have been pulled back on this has been an interesting run and has pushed the character forward rather than the usual inertia that it faces.
The artwork has ranged from solid and competent to inspired, Tony Daniel is doing some good solid work and putting the book out on time but sometimes you can't help but wish for that little bit of magic JH Williams brings as he did in the International Superhero Club arc.

Moving on, I was really sad to hear about Stan Winston dying, he and his studio produced some stunning work over the years, I really regret not going to one of the signings he had at the San Diego Comic Con last year.

Stan Winston

I remember there was a period in the mid 90's to early 90's where it seemed like every fantasy film that was released his team had worked on, one thing that stood out for me even then was that there was no crossover or repeating of ideas in the various characters they produced. Although his work on Aliens, Terminator, Jurassic Park and Predator was fantastic I have a big soft spot for the Monster Squad

Monster Squad
Basically the Universal Monsters vs The Little Rascals there were some great tweests on the creature designs and the Gill Monster stands out for me especially.

Finally, a quick look at the new Slipknot masks that were revealed today.

New Slipknot masks
There's a mix of tweaking the exsisting mask like Jim and Joeys and really going on one like Sid, Corey and Shawn. Combine the new looks with the 2 songs that have been released I'm really looking forward to the new album. Originally I hadn't really liked All Hope is Gone but it's really grown on me and it's cool to hear some black metal blast beats in the drumming, Psychosocial I need to hear a couple more times but I'm enjoying buying into some hype with this new record.

Anyway that's all for now, I'll try and be more coherent next time : )

No comments: